3.31.2012

Menu: Week of 4/1

It's been a busy week with The Man returning to work after a 5-week layoff, so we're all readjusting, and I've been crazy-busy at work. This morning, I took EVERYTHING out of both freezers and did a quick inventory. I've recently stocked up on a few things at super-low prices (thanks to sales & coupons), so I wanted to be sure we don't forget about any of it...that would be a waste of time spent couponing and money.

Once the inventory was taken and everything put back in the freezers (in a much more organized way), I sat down and wrote out our dinner menu for the month and made a shopping list. Needless to say, we didn't need much!

This afternoon, my mom and I went to the store to pick up the swingsets we had ordered for The Munchkin (one for her house and one for ours), and we went ahead and got the few groceries we both needed while we were in town. Once we got home, The Man assembled our swingset, and mom and I played outside with The Munchkin.

Now, The Munchkin is tuckered out in bed, The Man is relaxing with some TV, and well, I'm typing this. :)

A quick update from last week on the corn bread: the modifications I made resulted in corn bread that was a little lacking, so I'm going to keep testing until I find the perfect combination...then I'll share the recipe.

Also, the Taco Pasta from last week needs a little help, so I'll be working on modifications to that as well.

So now, on to the menu...

Sunday: Fried Eggs, Bacon, Hash Brown Potatoes - The Man loves having breakfast for dinner, and it's usually a quick, easy meal. This week, we're going to use the eggs I got from Oak Tree Organics, some bacon I found in the freezer, and potatoes I caught on sale at the grocery store.

Monday: Spaghetti, Meat Sauce, Corn, Focaccia - While going through the freezer, I found a small container of leftover meat sauce I made a while back, so this meal will be the perfect way to use it. I also found several bags of frozen corn (a grocery store sale stock-up), and I'll make focaccia to accompany the meal.

Tuesday: Chicken Fajitas, Mexican Rice - We've got several pounds of chicken in the freezer (another grocery store sale), so I'll add some sliced peppers and onions and a few spices, and dinner is made. I've also got several small containers of Mexican Rice in the freezer, so we'll use up some of that too.

Wednesday: BBQ Pork Sandwiches, Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli - The pork for this meal was also discovered in the freezer - a few months ago, I cooked a pork shoulder in the crockpot, shredded the leftover meat, and froze it in portions. It was seasoned with simple salt & pepper, so all I have to do is add BBQ sauce and a bun. I'll use more of the bargain potatoes, and some of the frozen broccoli. Easy dinner!

Thursday: Jambalaya - I found andouille sausage, shrimp, and cooked, shredded chicken in the freezer. Add Zatarain's, a little chopped bell pepper, and call it done!

Friday: Grilled Pizza - Of course! :)

Saturday: Cookout - We'll be spending the day at my parents' house to celebrate Easter. Mom is going to grill some chicken and steaks, and we're donating some pork chops from our freezer stock. We're also having potato salad, greens beans & carrots, and grilled flatbread (made with Olive Oil Dough). For dessert, mom is making an angel food cake, and we're donating some frozen Farmers' Market peaches and Cool Whip from the freezer stock.

Mangia Bene!

No comments:

Post a Comment