4.21.2012

Garden Update

It's been a while since I've posted a garden update, and for that, I apologize. I haven't neglected the garden, I've just neglected you. :(

So here's an update of what I've done:

  • Broccoli - I planted a few seeds a few weeks ago, and now I've got little sprouts. Ultimately, I'll only have one plant, but I'm letting the seedlings grow a bit before I pick the plant I plan to keep.
  • Roma Tomato - I started seeds in the house several weeks before the last frost, but they didn't grow. A few weeks ago, I planted seeds outside, but they also are not growing. So I think I'm going to give in tomorrow and buy a few plants. I'm slightly disheartened by this, but I'll survive. :)
  • Green Beans - I'm succession planting a total of 3 square feet of bean, so I've only got a few plants started, but they're a few inches tall. I'll plant a few more tomorrow. By doing it this way, I'll have a more steady supply of beans instead of drowning in them all at once. Now I just need to get my hands on a pressure canner so I can get them canned when they're ready to be picked. (I'm looking for a used one, so if you know someone who is getting rid of one, I'd love to buy it!
  • Cilantro, Basil, Italian Parsley - I attempted to start these indoors as well, but nothing happened, so a few weeks ago, I planted some seeds in a large pot, and they're beginning to sprout.
  • Peppers - Yet another failed indoor start. I had hoped to have bell, jalapeno, cayenne, and serrano peppers sprouting by now, after planting seeds directly in the garden, but it has just been too chilly for them to sprout. So, these are on the purchase list for tomorrow.
  • Arugula and Spinach - I've been succession planting these every couple weeks, and I'm picking greens every couple days. A 2-foot row of each has kept me pretty well-supplied for about 2 weeks now. I'm adding these greens to mixed greens I'm getting from Oak Tree Organics, and together it all makes a wonderful salad!
  • Peas - I've got a 4-foot row of sugar snap peas that are a few inches tall, and a 2-foot row of snow peas about the same height. Since I'm succession planting these, tomorrow I will need to plant another row of each.
  • Carrots - I've succession planted 2 square feet of carrots so far, each square foot a few weeks apart. The first bunch I planted has sprouted about 1/2" tall.
  • Parsnips - I have planted these at the same time as the carrots, but I haven't seen any sprouts yet. We shall see.
  • Beets - The 2 seeds I planted a while back have tops on them a few inches tall. I planted a few more seeds last weekend, so next weekend I'll plant some more.
  • Green Onions - The two 1-foot rows I planted haven't done anything. I'm trying to be patient...
  • Yellow Onions - I planted 1 square foot (9 plants) last weekend. Again, patience...
There you have it! I've got a little bit of everything planted, and I've harvested some greens. I'm (not so) patiently awaiting the remainder of the harvest!

In addition to the vegetable gardens, the lilies around the mailbox are several inches tall and will bloom around June. And The Man and I completely a 6' diameter raised garden bed in the front yard today (The Munchkin helped us check everything for level LOL). 


We will be shopping for flowers tomorrow. The list includes knock-out roses, and whatever else looks fun. :) We also need to find some plants for the butterfly and hummingbird garden on the south side of the garage. The Man will enjoy this garden the most, and I think The Munchkin will enjoy it just as much!

How is your garden progressing? I hope your indoor starts were more successful than mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment