6.06.2012

Fruit 'n' Yogurt Drops

I originally saw this concept on Pinterest and instantly thought it would be a great way to get The Munchkin to eat yogurt (she isn't really a fan). And it's a frozen treat, so I figured it would be really fun for her.

I was a bit disappointed, though, because every recipe I found used fruit-flavored yogurt, which is usually either loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners (of which I am not a fan). So, in true foodie form, I decided to do it my way.

I bought a pint of fresh blueberries at the market this weekend, and I know The Munchkin won't consume an entire pint of blueberries before they go bad (well, she would if we would let her, but we try to provide a variety of fruits and veggies for her!), so I decided they would be a great flavor to add to the yogurt for the drops (and it's pretty!).


Here's what I came up with:

1 6-ounce container of plain yogurt
1/4 c fresh or frozen fruit
2-3 t honey

Combine all ingredients in a small food processor or blender and blend until smooth.

Pour the yogurt mixture into a plastic zipper bag, close it tightly, and snip off one corner of the bag (a very small opening works best - about 1/8").

On a sheet pan lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat, carefully squeeze out dime-sized dots of the yogurt mixture.

Whoops! :)
Did I mention to do this carefully? It comes out very quickly, so you may end up with a yogurt smear!

Freeze the drops completely, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer.

When you're ready to eat the yogurt drops, only take a few at a time since they thaw pretty quickly.

By the time The Munchkin was ready for her afternoon snack, the blueberry yogurt drops were completely frozen, so I pulled the pan out of the freezer and plucked off a drop. She briefly inspected it and decided it was worthy of eating. Within seconds, she was asking for another. So I put a few in her snack cup.


After a few minutes of complete silence, she made her "all gone" grunt, so I put a few more drops in the cup, which she quickly devoured! When it was all said and done, she'd eaten 15-20 yogurt drops.

I'd say these are a win, and I plan to make some more with raspberries. :)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the "drops" that she can eat with her fingers! I made those very small dixie cups of the greek yogurt with peaches for her, but I have to feed that to her with a spoon. The drops are much better because she enjoys feeding herself so much! I didn't put any "sweetness" in the yogurt/peach cups and they could really use some. I will have to regroup, following mommy's plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really did enjoy them! The key is to hand them out a few at a time so they don't melt before she can eat them.

      And as far as the sweetness goes, you know I never add sweetener to her food, but in the case of plain/Greek yogurt, it's necessary. I chose to use honey from a local apiary partly because it's not a refined or artificial sweetener, and partly because the local honey will help her fight off local allergens (which you already know). I try to give her a bit of local honey on a regular (weekly) basis to help build her tolerance. So this is just another way to get a bit of that in her tiny lil body. :)

      Delete