12.14.2011

Falafel!

As planned, tonight was burger night. The Man had his usual, but I made falafel for myself. It's probably been 10 years since I last had falafel, and though I don't remember exactly what it tasted like, I remember loving it! (Anyone wanna go to Holy Land Diner for lunch soon?!)

Because it's been so long since I've had true falafel, I can't vouch for the authenticity of Jeannie's Falafel, but I can vouch for the fact that it's pretty tasty. As promised earlier in the week, here is the recipe with my modifications:

Falafel
(4 servings)
1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 t granulated onion
1/2 t granulated garlic
1 1/2 T chopped fresh cilantro
1 T chopped fresh parsley
1 t ground cumin
1/8 t ground turmeric
1/2 t baking powder
2/3 c fine dry bread crumbs
1/4 t kosher salt
1/4 t fresh ground black pepper
oil for frying

Mash the garbanzo beans in a large bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients, adding just enough water to allow the mixture to be formed into patties.

Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Form the mixture into 4 patties.

Carefully drop the patties into the skillet, and cook until brown, then flip to brown the other side. Gently remove from the skillet.

Serve with tzatziki, slice tomato, onion and warm pita bread.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment