1.28.2012

Menu: Week of 1/29

It's that time of the week again - time to plan the coming week's menu! Normally, I would take a moment to review a new recipe we tried this week, but unfortunately, I had a root canal on Tuesday and then ended up having two teeth pulled Thursday, one of which was the root canal tooth. :( This, in combination with an inability to find some ingredients for the planned meals, forced me to improvise for several meals (AKA macaroni and cheese LOL). Fortunately, I'm feeling much less pain, and my energy level is returning to my version of normal, so this week, I hope to try some of the recipes I had planned for last week. So here's the plan:

Sunday: Cheesy Broccoli Orzo & Butternut Squash Sage Rolls - This meal was originally planned for Thursday night, but after the trip to the dentist, I wasn't feeling much like cooking. Also, I was unable to find orzo at the grocery store last week. And since I'm sure I won't be able to find it this week (and I refuse to shop at Walmart), I'm just going to substitute some other pasta I have on hand...most likely elbow macaroni.

Monday: Spaghetti & Meatballs - This is another of The Man's favorites, probably because I make the meatballs homemade (recipe below). And it's a good way to use up some of the marinara we have in the freezer.

Tuesday: Enchiladas & Mexican Rice - Another do-over from last week.

Wednesday: Burgers - the usual!

Thursday: Pasta Fagioli - This is a great vegetarian soup (if made the traditional way), and The Man loves it! It will also give me an excuse to use the enameled cast iron dutch oven I got for Christmas :)

Friday: Pizza - Another homemade pizza! :)

Saturday: Penne with Sausage & Peppers - And the last of the repeats from this week. Hopefully I can find Italian sausage at the grocery store this week...



Meatballs
(serves 8)
1/2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
2 eggs, beaten
2/3 c seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t ground black pepper

Combine the ingredients until everything is incorporated. Form into balls (a few tablespoons) and place on a foil-lined cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart (the foil will make cleanup a breeze!). Bake at 350 degrees until fully cooked, about 30 minutes (depending on the size).

Note: I use a cookie scoop (small ice cream scoop) to form the meatballs. Also, these are great freezer items. Just form the meatballs and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once they're frozen through, put them in a freezer bag and label it with contents, date, and cooking instructions.

And there ya have it! Mangia Bene!

No comments:

Post a Comment